Be inspired by Chiang Mai Design Week 2022
“Local ‘Rise’ation: creativity and community growth”
Held in multiple locations across Chiang Mai between 3rd-11th December 2022
Chiang Mai Design Week 2022 will be a city-wide event aimed at curating, featuring and promoting local art, design and ideas from a multitude of local people and communities. This year’s theme is “Local ‘Rise’ation: creativity and community growth” and will be held between the 3rd and 11th December 2022 at the Three Kings Monument and the communities of Lam Chang, Chang Moi, Sankampaeng as well as in scattered locations across the city.
The Creative Economy Agency (Public Organization) or CEA in cooperation with the Provincial Chiang Mai government, the private sector, foreign organizations, creative industry and collectives in Chiang Mai, in Thailand and beyond have joined together to organize the Chiang Mai Design Week 2022 to stimulate the Chiang Mai economy, expanding networks for business operators, designers, artists and craftspeople across the northern regions, adding value to local products as well as expanding on tourism opportunities.
The activities to be found in five highlight districts of the Chiang Mai Design Week 2022
Chang Moi District
- Gastro Economy Exhibition for a Shared Global Future by CEA. This event aims at opening up new horizons for the food industry in Chiang Mai from both creative and business perspectives for a sustainable future.
- NFT Art Con 2022: Digital Exhibition & Art Market. Featuring some of the finest crypto art in the world with the support of local creators, the event will feature numerous activities such as talks by leading creators and NFT developers, workshops and an NFT market and will be held at the Chiang Mai Art Museum and Mantana Building in Chang Moi District.
- Local Cabinets Exhibition by Homecoming. A project which brings creative people back to their hometowns leading to new and diverse perspectives. Multi-disciplinary creators will be tasked with looking at five areas of Chiang Mai – the moat, San Pa Koi, Chiang Dao, Om Koi and Mae Kha Canal – finding new inspiration and opening up new opportunities for the communities. Event held at Mantana Building in Chang Moi District.
- Local Composites Exhibition by Homecoming. A project which brings creative people back to their home towns to explore environmentally-friendly materials and add value to them through new adaptations. The aim is to highlight the local area’s identities so that the community can add value to the products. Event held at Montana Building in Chang Moi District.
- Come…Have Fun by TAM: DA. A treasure hunt in Chang Moi to find hidden recycled products, exploring the community and having an adventure in the process.
The Three Kings Monument
- POP Market by CEA. Creatively designed goods which reflect the Northern identity are featured, covering handicrafts, handmade goods, lifestyle products, home decoration, fashion accessories, food and drinks from over 90 brands. There will also be live music performed by local musicians and workshop activities held throughout the nine days. Event held at Lanna Folklife Museum.
- Locating the Locals: A Virtual Exhibition by PTT. Showcasing winners of the annual PTT Art Competition featuring digital art to introduce new virtual reality experiences to find the meanings of ‘local’, in both the art as well as the artist themselves. At Chiang Mai City Arts and Cultural Centre.
Lam Chang District
- Lam Chang International Film by CEA. Outdoor cinema with international films with support from organizations within Thailand from Japan, Russia and France. Held at the Lam Chang Temple.
- Kad Kom Kao Lam Chang by Lam Chang Community and CEA. A community market featuring local food, goods, drinks and services organized with the support of the Lam Chang and nearby communities. There will be a Chiang Mai Busking event to feature musicians dotted around the community as well as vocal groups serenading and visitors will be warmly received by a lively and welcoming community. Events held at Lam Chang Temple.
- Workshops for Children. Working with found and printed arts in the surrounding environment.
- Long Him Khao. A collection of fun workshops featuring hunting for discarded items or waste to turn into art and other creative products in hopes of adding value. There will be the Ton Yon Market to feature creative craft products and services as well as a Green your Food clean market.
- Chiang Mai Street Jazz Festival 2022. Annual jazz event under the ‘Stand by Me, Stand by Humanity’ concept which will bring people together from all walks of life through music – society, education, environment, economy, culture and politics.
- LABBfest 2022. Live music and memorable moments through musical showcases and visual arts, exchanging culture through music on an international level. The event will be held at Club Carving CNX.
Fun and fabulous activities held throughout the week between the 3rd and 11th December 2022 at the Three Kings Monument and the communities of Chang Moi, Sankampaeng, Lam Chang and across the city. For more details please visit www.chiangmaidesignweek.com or Facebook: Chiang Mai Design Week