CityNews – 2nd October 2019, this health concern originated a few days ago from a group of tourists posting on social media about their rented tent accommodation in Mae Rim with cost 1,800 baht per tent, but were found to be covered in du gas and had foul smells.
Then, in the afternoon of 2ndNovember 2019, deputy medical officer of provincial public health together with various authorities visited Mon Sailom Mon Jam to investigate the site. The authorities had a meeting with rental tent entrepreneurs in the area and found that they had already changed tents with new canvas / fabric. So, authorities were yet to check to see the mouldy tents. However, the investigation still yielded unsatisfying results such as bath rooms with dangerous gas bearings and rents with no air ventilation.
Deputy district chief of Mae Rim said that after knowing of the incident, the Chiang Mai governor is concerned and ordered monitoring immediately in the areas where tourists need the service of rental tent entrepreneurs. Accommodation entrepreneurs were requested to think of sustainable tourism, not to make money for only one season.