CityNews – On 12th November at Chiang Mai Hill 2000 Hotel, a seminar on the Protection of Children from Sexual Exploitation in Travel and Tourism was held by the ECPAT Foundation.
The ECPAT Foundation is a global network which works together to eliminate Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC). CSEC includes: child prostitution, child pornography, trafficking of children for sexual purposes, child sex tourism, and child marriage. ECPAT groups are all over the world, and today, there are 82 member groups in 75 countries, both large coalitions of NGOs and small organizations.
The seminar explained and presented an audience-involved discussion about the situation of child exploitation in Thailand. Topics covered included the causes and real cases of child exploitation, and an initiative called The Code was introduced.
The Code represents one of the first attempts to define the role and obligations of tourism companies with regard to the issue of child sex tourism. The goal of The Code is to work with travel and tourism companies to combat this ongoing, heinous crime.
As part of this mission, The Code (The Code of Conduct for the Protection of Children from Sexual Exploitation in Travel and Tourism) employs the following six criteria which members of the tourism industry must adhere to:
1. To establish and maintain policies and procedures against sexual exploitation of children.
2. To train employees on the subject of children’s rights, the prevention of sexual exploitation and how to report suspected cases.
3. To include a clause in contracts throughout the value chain stating a common repudiation and zero-tolerance policy of sexual exploitation of children.
4. To provide information to travellers on children’s rights, the prevention of sexual exploitation of children and how to report suspected cases.
5. To support, collaborate and engage stakeholders in the prevention of sexual exploitation of children.
6. To report annually on their implementation of Code related activities.
You can join The Code at www.thecode.org. If you would like more information on children’s rights or child abuse, please contact:
1. Pracha Bordee Centre 1300, Anti-Human Trafficking Division (AHTD) 1191, and CCTV Police 1599
2. ECPAT International
328/1 Payathai Rd. Bangkok
3. ECPAT Foundation
426/22 Baan Kok Kalae, Tambon Rim Kok, Muang, Chiang Rai 57110
Tel. 053 750 167 Fax. 053 750 164
ECPAT ? ?
? (ECPAT Foundation) ? ? ? 12 ? ? 9.00 – 14.30 ?. ? ? 2000 ? 60 ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? (The Code): ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? “?” ? 6 ? ? ? ? ?
2. ? ? ?
3. ? ? ?
4. ? ? ?
5. ? ?
6. ? ? “? ?”
? ? ? ? ? ? www.thecode.org ? ? ? ?:
1. ? ? 1300, ?. 1191, ? ?.?. 1599
2. ? ?
328/1 ? ? 10400 ?
426/22 ? ? ? ? 57110
?. 053 750 167 ? 053 750 164