‘Oedipal’ Man who Killed his Father and Sexually Assaulted his Mother Arrested

 | Tue 15 Jan 2019 13:17 ICT

CityNews – A man killed his father and sexually assaulted his mother was being hunted but has now been arrested.

Chaiya Tana, 31, from Doi Saket had been marked a “dangerous man” by authorities and media. In 2002 at the age of 14, he killed his step father using a knife, a crime for which he was detained for three years. After being released he has reportedly been sent back to prison several times.

An interview with Chaiya’s mother, 66, this week revealed that she was sexually assaulted by her son in December last year, and that it was not the first time. He has often abused her. She stated that Chaiya would lock her up, abuse her and threaten to kill her. Chaiya’s younger sister added that his mother loved him very much and always visited him through all five times that he had been imprisoned. She had also been sexually harassed by him and was in a situation that was “close to being raped,” many times. Chaiya’s mother has finally told the police, with deepest regret and sadness, that she wants her son to be caught dead or alive.

Jaroon Sunutsin, the village headman stated that as a poor man, Chaiya would venture into the wood for food which caused villagers to avoid going into the forest in fear of encountering him. Farmers whose lands were near the forest also avoided his plantation, his presence spreading fear amongst all villagers.

A January 13th report revealed that a gun had been stolen, leading police to immediately suspect done by Chaiya. With him on the loose, his mother had also disappeared from the village. Police labelled him as a dangerous man and were hunting him down. He was suspected to be hiding in Doi Saket and Mae On areas.

On January 14th, he was spotted at a market buying some food before fleeing into the forest in Pa Miang, Doi Saket. Police were able to track him down and surrounded the area. His girlfriend was brought to the site in an attempt to persuade him to surrender, but he refused. Police later decided to try again on the following day. He appeared to be weak and police were able to arrest him without violence.