‘Take Me Home’, and their secondary brand ‘Tomato House’ are announcing their goals to help reduce the negative impact the food industry has on the environment.
The target of the company is three-fold:
- To reduce the amount of plastic that is used in packaging and move to more environmentally friendly materials. “In the fresh food industry, products are packed for only a few days, using materials that take over 100 years to degrade”.
- To reduce the number of resources that are used during the production by introducing more efficient farming methodologies. “We can lower the footprint per kg produced, by increasing production yields while not increasing the resources we use do so, that is efficiency at its essence”
- To reduce, with the goal to eventually eliminate completely, the use of agricultural chemicals for pest and disease control. “Nature itself, has invented the best and most sustainable methods of controlling diseases and pest-populations, we have just forgotten about it… “
Changes that have been, and will be made:
- From now on your ‘Take Me Home’ and ‘Tomato House’ tomatoes are packed in a more responsible way. The new packaging is made from recycled, unbleached, unlaminated, and 100% biodegradable paper, which is wrapped in a very thin recyclable plastic film.
The company realizes that some plastic is still used, but every journey starts with small first steps.
- With the introduction of a ‘smart farming’ system and high-tech greenhouses, where the climate is controlled to create optimal conditions for tomato species, yields are being drastically improved without the use of more farming inputs.
- The company has set itself the goal to be a 100% biological tomato producer, without the use of any chemical pesticides by the end of 2022. Some resistance from certain authorities is expected, as it will require the amendment of certain import regulations, but with that in mind and the necessary persistence and perseverance we are confident that we can get the country on our side.
About Take Me Home and Tomato House
Take Me Home and Tomato House is a Thai tomato house brand that was established under D.A.T.T. Co., Ltd. They are Thailand’s biggest tomato brand, supplying most supermarkets nationwide with 262 locations throughout the country.