A 60 year old monk died in a fire as it engulfed his guti on the grounds of Mae Chaems Wat Doi Sakan in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
Fire fighters rushed the scene with three water trucks to attempt to put out the fire, but it took over an hour to contain.
The body of a monk living in the guti was discovered after the fire was extinguished.
Firefighters have blamed the fire on a shorted electrical circuit and other monks in the temple have told authorities that the monk who died suffered from diabetes, high blood pressure and was not healthy enough to be very mobile.
The electrical system in the guti, explained one of the monks, had not been changed in 30 years.
Photos from: งานบรรเทาสาธารณภัยเทศบาลตำบลแม่แจ่ม / โก๋ แม่แจ่ม