This is Thailand

 |  November 29, 2013

For those of you with questions regarding Thailand, Thai culture, history, tourism, laws, rules, food, nightlife, subculture, dating, or generally anything as long as it is relevant, we have a panel of experts ready to respond to your enquiries. Email:

Everyone seems to be smoking electronic cigarettes lately. Where can I find one in Chiang Mai?

Hilary: Indeed, e-cigarettes, which are basically personal vaporisers, have become quite a trend lately. They’re supposedly less toxic than regular cigarettes since they use vapors instead of smoke. You can find them at a little shop on Kaew Narawat Soi 6 called CNX ECig. They have a wide variety of devices and flavours. Here’s the Facebook page:

Where can I find pure Jain food in Chiang Mai?

Pooja (intern): While there are no purely Jain restaurants that I’ve been able to find in Chiang Mai (and believe me, I’m Jain, I’ve looked!), there are plenty of restaurants that serve Jain food. Some Thai street vendors or restaurant staff will know what you mean if you say Jain, but some may require you to explain that it is vegan food (no animal products of any kind, including meat, eggs and dairy) without carrots, mushroom, onion, garlic and potatoes (vegetables that grow underground). The Gulf Restaurant (087 515 2321) is situated on the right side corner of Anusarn Market besides the pharmacy at the Night Bazaar and makes some amazing Jain Lebanese food. For Mexican, I recommend Salsa Kitchen (053 216 605) at 26/4 Huay Kaew Road. The Art Cafe (053 206 365) near Tha Pae Gate serves Mexican, Italian as well as Lebanese. If you want to go for some Jain-friendly pizza, try Girasole (053 276 388) at 71 Rachadamneon Road. If you are in a mood for some Indian food, check out Rajdarbar (082 929 2985) at 99/2 Loi Kroh Road by the bridge. Want to try some Jain Thai food? Visit Khun Churn Vegetarian Restaurant (053 224 124) on Nimmanhaemin, Soi 17. At all of these restaurants, be sure to mention your dietary restrictions upon ordering.

I lost my work permit. What should I do?

Kay (admin): In case of a lost work permit, the work permit holder must do a police report at any police station (FYI: this is important any time you want to prove that something was stolen, including bank cards and driver’s licenses). Then fill in the WP4 Form ( and submit to the Chiang Mai Employment Office with the following documents: police report, three 3x4cm photos (taken within the last six months), valid passport with signed copies of each page OR certificate of Permanent Residence and Certificate of Alien with copies, a copy of your work permit if you have one (word to the wise, make a copy now in case this happens to you!), Power of Attorney with affixed 10 baht duty stamp together with a copy of appointee’s lD card (if the holder is unable to apply in person). Once all of this is submitted, it takes about five working days to get a new permit.

I’m a tourist in Chiang Mai and I’d really like to visit some temples. What is the proper etiquette when visiting a temple?

Sophie (intern): You are on holy grounds when visiting a Buddhist temple, so it is essential that you pay attention to the basic Do’s and Don’ts. DO bow your head and pay respect to the temple and Buddha statues; make sure to keep your head below Buddha statues, images, and honourable monks and nuns; take off your shoes in and around the temple grounds (make this easier by wearing slip-on shoes); wear appropriate clothing (no shorts or tank tops); refrain from public displays of affection; be quiet. DON’T point at (especially with your feet) or touch (especially on the head) Buddha statues, monks, nuns, or elders; don’t get too close to a Buddha statue when taking a picture.

I want to buy a goat! Is there a goat farm in Thailand that sells goats or their cheese?

May (editorial assistant): The Goat and Sheep Development Group is the main organisation in Thailand that helps farmers with raising and selling these animals. Their website is and it acts as a free market for farmers and buyers. You can look for farmers around Thailand and contact them directly. However, please note that the website is all in Thai, so you might need someone who reads Thai to help you.