After a few quiet months, Chiang Mai’s festive season has started with a spectacular bang. Following a strange cold spell last week, this past weekend saw enough events to keep Steve Yarnold from complaining of boredom for a few days. A running commentary by many people who attended these events was that Chiang Mai is almost unrecognizable from the city it was in the past. Sophisticated affairs – sans flip flop – incredible world cuisines and wines and high caliber art work battled it out for our attention.
Our Top Events This Weekend:
1. New Perspective on Art with Pandungphon Rincom and his ‘Inner – Surface’ Collection at Le Meridien Hotel. Curated by Woo Café Art Gallery Lifestyle Shop. Set in the hotel lobby, but decked out like a sophisticated international art show, this event showcased one of Woo Café’s famous artists. The intelligent lighting brought out features in the paintings which even the artist was surprised by and the drinks flowed freely. You can visit the perspective for the next few weeks to admire Pandungphon’s works or even to buy them.
2. Le Crystal’s Chilean Wine Dinner
Diners were spoilt rotten by the incredibly generous buffet of fine foods offered at the elegant Le Crystal. There was foie gras, oysters, top quality imported beef and lamb, fresh seafood, beautiful sauces and a many desserts, all generously paired with a very freely flowing wine bar.
3. The Asian Organic Gourmet Festival was held again this year at 137 Pillars House with Chef Tammasak; owner and Chef of Suai restaurant in Phuket and known as the Iron Chef Thailand for western cuisine showing his skills on the first night, Chef Joseph, owner and Chef at Cuisine de Garden in Hang Dong wowing with molecular gastronomy on the second night and the hotel’s own new executive Chef Thiti finishing off a weekend of such gastronomic delight that more than a handful of people returned for at least another night, on the last evening. There was also a surprise performance on both Saturday and Sunday nights as two hotel guests, a Vietnamese American baritone and soprano couple checked in and promptly offered to sing beautiful arias for other guests.
4. Chilling at the House of Wine
The House of Wine also put on a lovely wine evening for clients and friends in their cosy compound by Tengoku+Yaki.
5. Le Meridien also continued to host their epic pool parties, brimming with the young and the beautiful, an event which show cases the twenty something scene in our city.
6. Le Vin Authentique and Wine Citizen Grand Wine Tasting at Dhara Dhevi Resort was a very large event held at the Dhara Dhevi to introduce a new wine supplier to Chiang Mai. Dozens of wines were available for tastings and were mostly in the reasonable price range.